How To Shop For Your Closet And Not Spend A Dime:
So I’m guessing we can all agree that we all love something new in our closet from time to time but the reality of living on a budget typically bumps shopping to the bottom of the list. This can be especially frustrating when you’re in need of something to wear to an interview or that special event. So here’s an idea that’s a fun way to shop and spend an evening with friends that won’t cost you a dime.
I call it – Shop & Swap and here’s how it works:
2. The idea is for everyone to go through their closets and find an item or two. It can be a – blouse, top, dress, skirt, pants, handbag or pair of shoes that are in good and most importantly wearable/usable condition. Suggest that everyone bring at least two or three items to ensure that everyone leaves with something new and fun to wear. This is also a great way to recycle garments, which is always a good thing for the planet.
3. Tell them that you’d like to have lite-bites and ask everyone to bring something so that the responsibility isn’t on you to provide all the food. I suggest making it a fun cocktail theme party and since summer is upon us, selecting a fun drink like margarita’s or cosmopolitan’s can add to the fun.
4. Asking everyone to bring recycled shopping bags is also good for the planet.
5. When your guests arrive have them write their names on a slip of paper (all the same size) then fold it in half and drop it into a hat or bowl.
6. Display the items so that everyone can see them. It’s a great way to start the excitement.
7. Then once everyone is settled in, draw a name and allow the individual selected to go to the Shop & Swap area and pick an item of their choice that they’d love to add their closet.
Note: If you’re the host before you start to Shop & Swap remind your friends that the idea is to yes score a new find for their closet but, also to have fun and be excited for everyone when their name is drawn and applaud when they’re done shopping.
Finally, if you’re guest don’t want to take their un-selected items home suggest that you do a Goodwill or Salvation Army drop when you’re done. It’s a great way to help other’s in need. Happy Shopping & Swapping and let me know how your event goes.